Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Good Deed #18: Sending a Care Package

In the past five years I have seen many of my closest friends head off to what we in the military affectionately call the "sand box." It has become so commonplace to see my friends go off on their 2nd, 3rd and 4th tours that I forget the significance of their sacrifice. Yesterday I decided to get out of the routine of just accepting deployments as a fact of life. For the first time I sent out a care package (sad huh?) It was long over due. This care package represented all of the boxes that should have been sent out but never were. It was a reminder to myself of how precious life is and how thankful I am for those who are keeping mine just as I like it. The contents in the box aren't too significant but the meaning behind it is. I know that in a year when my name gets called for a deployment I will welcome care packages not because of what's inside but because who it came from.

For those of you who follow my blog and don't know where to send care packages to I have plenty of friends and contacts who would be more than happy to receive a box filled with goodies! Feel free to contact me and I'll get you in touch with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment