Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Good Deed #16: Texting for the Gulf

I realize that I have missed the entire month of June and so in an effort to play catch up I had to think of an easy and effective way to make an impact on our world. No sooner after giving it some thought did I look at my phone and see a text message from my sister who had been watching the telethon on CNN for the Gulf asking me to donate via text. On an average day I probably text several times to friends and family and on weekends it's my primary method of communication. Her request required no more effort then what I do normally and therefore no excuse for not doing it. For those of you who have solicited money from me for a charity or cause you already know that I would never turn one down. At this moment and with the magnitude of the oil spill effects of the Gulf Coast, all I could think about is how man is slowly destroying mother earth. Technology is often blamed for one of the reasons why we are polluting our environment. Ironically, in this instance it is a way to help it.

I know it sounds like an easy way out to uphold a pledge, but nevertheless, the money that I donate to such causes gives me a sense of satisfaction that I did something thoughtful for an area where others had been so reckless. The opportunities to contribute are right there. It doesn't take skill, courage or time to help out. All it takes is 10 seconds out of your day.

By texting GULF to 50555 you will have made a $10 donation to help Waterkeeper Alliance and Save our Gulf. 100% of your donation will go to these two nonprofits who are working to alleviate the effects of the oil spill in the gulf.

No comments:

Post a Comment