Saturday, March 27, 2010

Good Deed #13: Forgiveness

This Lenten season I gave up the consumption of alcohol. In past years I have done a poor job at sacrificing things and routinely have forgotten about not eating meat on Fridays. With that in mind, I knew that this year would be difficult given my track record. Fortunately, with the help of my girlfriend (who gave up fried foods), we have been able to avoid those things that tempt us and in a sense have felt closer to the Holy season.

If Lent is about prayer and fasting, then it is as much about repentance as well. Before I can welcome home the One who died on a cross and forgive my sins, I know that I have to welcome back those in my life that I have not forgiven myself. Extending my hand to someone who has given me reason to question their trust and integrity has proven a tough challenge to me and just because it's Lent does not make it any easier. As I think about the circumstances that have led to me shutting them out of my life, I know that this is not the way that Jesus Christ would have wanted it.

People are given second chances here on earth and that is courtesy of our maker. It's not my decision to determine who or what deserves another try, it's just my duty to forgive, and that I can do.

In the past I would just assume shut someone out who had lied or betrayed me. But with the spirit of Lent upon me I know that what I should really be doing is reaching out.

Many of us ask our God for forgiveness for our mishaps and past mistakes. We do so with embarrassment and humility. It takes courage for us to identify what we have done wrong and what areas we need to improve on, but probably more so when we confess this to the ones that we love here on earth. Admittedly, I have not been the best Brother (to my immediate family or my fellow neighbors), I've taken more than I given and I'm stubborn to a tragic fault. This Lent I'm confessing this all to my God and to those who may read this blog. I want others to know that while I'm offering forgiveness, I'm asking for it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment