Thursday, March 18, 2010

Good Deed #12: Getting the Big Picture

Growing up my parents were notorious for never having a camera on them during big moments in my life. High School/College graduation, games, family reunions, holidays? These are all moments in my life that if not for my Aunt and Sister, there would virtually be no documentation of the events. The few times when they did have a camera, my Mother whose photographic nickname ought to be the "guillotine" for cutting out our heads in pictures, was always too afraid to take our pictures for that very reason.

As I grew up I was very cognizant that my family had relied on our collective memories to serve as the lasting scrapbook. I decided some time ago that I didn't want this same fate and thus I have taken pictures of most of my experiences since I have left home. With digital technology I don't have to worry about film and I just have file folders filled with pictures. Still, a crash to my computer could easily wipe all of my photo libraries (I know I need to back them up) and I'd be without anything.

As I thought about how important photographs are to me, I began to think about the two teams that I coached this past year (football and basketball). The pictures that I took of them with my camera are not for me. They are of them and for them. I knew that I had to disseminate them so that they could reminisce like I had. Today I sent both teams a team photo that I had taken during one of the last games of both of the seasons. Hopefully, they will look back on their youth as fondly as I did mine with or without pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment