Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Good Deed #2: Reaching Out to Haiti

Last week the outdoor temperatures at night dropped below 20 degrees. It was a no brainer that I agreed to give a mother and her two children a ride from the gym to her home that was 4 miles away. For the past several days I considered hanging on to this one as my "good deed" for the week, but after hearing about the devastation caused by the earthquake in Haiti, I couldn't reasonably turn my head away and pretend that this incident didn't touch me.

My first exposure to Haiti was through several of my college football teammates. Through them I didn't see a small creole speaking Caribbean country, but family oriented people who had brought much perspective to my life.

Ordinarily I don't believe in monetary donations as doing a "good deed," but in this instance, I decided to make the exception. With our own government making a massive military response for humanitarian aid, the only way that I felt that I could contribute was a donation for the victims of this earthquake which registered 7.0 on the richter scale.

With 80% of the population of Haiti already living under the poverty line, there is lots to do.

Join me in donating to the American Red Cross!

No comments:

Post a Comment