Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Good Deed #1: Coaching Youth Basketball

My Father was hands down the best coach that I ever had There's not coincidence that he has also been my greatest role model. My favorite teachers in life haven't necessarily come from the classrooms but on the football fields, baseball diamonds and basketball courts. It is there that I believe I learned more about integrity, competition, teamwork and inner strength then any book I could have read or lecture I could have heard.

For my first good deed of 2010 I have chosen to coach youth basketball. Basketball is a sport that I grew up playing with great passion. I believe I owe it to my community to pass on what I have been taught along the way. My father has a saying that goes, "there's a reason why gyms were built in schools, it's because we want to teach you something." There was much truth to that statement when I played for my Dad and an equal amount of it now. This past fall I coached flag football. My team lost in the Championship game. I recall telling them that "If all I ever taught you was how to throw, catch and run with the football, then I didn't do my job. This season was about a lot more than football and hopefully you will remember those things above everything else."

Our first practice was Jan 5th. We will have practice every Tuesday and Thursday with games on Friday night and Saturday mornings. In many ways I feel that this deed is more for myself then for my players. I almost feel guilty for posting this!

My Dad always said that community service wasn't about grant money or donations, it was simply about the time you spent helping others. I think I could very easily pick a charity each week and give a donation, that would satisfy my standards for my resolution. However, it wouldn't fill that empty void within me that knows that I can do so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment